How do I change from a Type 01 to a Type 07 Federal Firearms License?

Licenses are not transferrable. A new ATF Form 7 must be submitted to obtain a different license type or a new license. However, fingerprint cards and photographs are not required for any Responsible Person (RP) listed on the previous license.

Please contact ATF’s Federal Firearms Licensing Center (FFLC) if you have questions about this matter at (866) 662-2750 or

Last Reviewed July 22, 2022