What's in This Document
- Are generally prohibited in residences and dwellings.
- ATF Ruling 2002-3: Provides guidance on the requirements to apply for a variance to store explosives in a residence or dwelling.
- ATF Ruling 2002-4: Provides guidance on the need for a variance for the indoor storage of explosive materials in business premises directly adjacent to a residence or dwelling.
- The total quantity of explosive materials stored within all indoor magazines inside one building is limited to 50 pounds.
- The total quantity of detonators stored within each indoor magazine is limited to 5,000.
- The doors on indoor magazines located in secure rooms must only be secured with one steel padlock that need not be protected by a ¼-inch thick steel hood. A room is only considered “secure” when it is locked exactly as a magazine (e.g. two mortise locks, three-point lock, etc.).
Last Reviewed May 19, 2023