ATF has recognized the concealed weapons permits in State A and State B as valid alternatives to a NICS check. Can a resident of State A use a concealed weapons permit issued by State A to purchase a long gun in State B without undergoing a NICS check?

No. A permit qualifies as a NICS alternative only if it was issued by the state in which the transfer is to take place.

[18 U.S.C. 922(t); 27 CFR 478.102(d)]

Last Reviewed May 22, 2020