Does the federal government issue a license or permit to carry a concealed weapon?

No. Neither ATF nor any other federal agency issues a permit or license to carry a concealed weapon. Carrying permits may be issued by a state or local government. Please contact your state’s Attorney General’s Office for information regarding permits to carry firearms.

Last Reviewed April 12, 2022