How can I make and register an NFA firearm?

A person not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law from possessing firearms may submit an application to make an NFA firearm, other than a machine gun as prescribed by the Gun Control Act of 1968, as amended, at 18 U.S.C. § 922(o).

The application process requires the applicant to submit ATF Form 1, Application to Make and Register a Firearm, in duplicate, along with FBI FD-258, Fingerprint Card, in duplicate, and payment of the $200 making tax.

[27 C.F.R. §§ 479.62-65]

Last Reviewed January 23, 2020