How do I export defense articles, including firearms and ammunition?

The export of defense articles under the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) generally requires a license for export issued in accordance with the AECA and the regulations promulgated thereunder. The Department of State's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) administers AECA export controls and licensing for defense articles enumerated on the U.S. Munitions List (USML) in the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) at 22 CFR § 121.1. Additional information may be obtained from DDTC by either contacting the DDTC Response Team at (202) 663-1282, or by visiting their website at

The Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) administers export controls for items on the Commerce Control List (CCL), including shotguns with a barrel length of 18 inches or more and related components, muzzle loading rifles and handguns, air guns, replica firearms, and shotgun shells and components, pursuant to the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and Part 774 of the Export Administration Regulations. Additional information may be obtained from BIS by contacting an export counselor at (202) 482-4811, or by visiting their website at  

Any person who wishes to export a firearm subject to the National Firearms Act must submit ATF Form 9 (5320.9), Application and Permit for Permanent Exportation of Firearms and obtain approval from ATF prior to export.

[22 U.S.C. § 2778; 26 U.S.C. § 5854; 27 CFR § 479.114–479.119]

Last Reviewed May 6, 2020