How do I obtain an NFA firearm?

An individual who is not prohibited by federal, state or local law from receiving or possessing firearms may lawfully obtain an NFA firearm in one of two ways:

  1. An approved transfer of a registered NFA firearm from its lawful owner, which requires ATF Form 4, Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of a Firearm; or,
  2. An approved making of an NFA firearm, which requires ATF Form 1, Application to Make and Register a Firearm

[26 U.S.C. § 5812, 5822; 27 CFR § 479.62-66, 479.84-86]

Last Reviewed January 23, 2020