How does a person qualify to import, manufacture, or deal in NFA firearms?

The person must be licensed under the Gun Control Act (GCA) and pay the required special (occupational) tax imposed by the National Firearms Act (NFA). After becoming licensed under the GCA, the licensee must submit an ATF Form 5630.7, Special Tax Registration and Return National Firearms Act (NFA) to ATF with the appropriate tax payment.

An importer of NFA firearms (except importers of sporting shotguns and shotgun ammunition) must also be registered with ATF under the Arms Export Control Act of 1976, by filing an ATF Form 4587, Application to Register as an Importer of U.S. Munitions Import List Articles.

[26 U.S.C. 5801; 18 U.S.C. 923; 27 CFR 447.31, 478.41 and 479.34]

Last Reviewed February 6, 2020