How may an unlicensed person receive a firearm in their state that they purchased from an out-of-state source?

An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-state source, provided the transfer takes place through a federal firearms licensee in their state of residence.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

Last Reviewed April 12, 2022