If I no longer want a short-barreled rifle (SBR) and I remove the “brace,” do I need to contact the NFA to un-register my SBR with an attached “stabilizing brace”?

It is not a requirement to remove your SBR from the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR); however, ATF highly recommends you notify the Government Services Branch (GSB) of the National Firearms Act Division to remove the firearm from the NFRTR registry. All NFRTR updates should be emailed to nfafax@atf.gov.

Last Reviewed March 23, 2023