If a person has been convicted of a disabling offense, is there a means other than relief to have firearms rights restored?

English | en Español

Persons convicted of a Federal offense may apply for a Presidential pardon. 28 CFR Part I specifies the rules governing petitions for obtaining Presidential pardons. You may contact the Pardon Attorney’s Office at the U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, DC, to inquire about the procedures for obtaining a Presidential pardon. 

Persons convicted of a State offense may contact the State Attorney General’s Office in the State of their conviction for information concerning the availability of expungements, set asides, pardons and civil rights restoration.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(20) and (a)(33); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.142]

Last Reviewed June 6, 2018