Apply for Relief of Explosives Disability - Additional Information

Additional Information Required to Be Submitted with ATF Form 5400.29, Application for Restoration of Explosives Privileges

All applicants for restoration of explosives privileges must submit two fingerprint identification cards, FD-258. These cards will be included in all relief application packets, and additional cards are available from the ATF Distribution Center. The fingerprint cards must be supplied by ATF and have the ORI number DC-ATF-0000 preprinted on the cards.

If You: It Is Required That you Include the Following With Your Application:

Are an individual applicant for any category of relief (as opposed to a corporation).

A written statement recommending restoration from each of three references who are not related to you by blood or marriage and who have known you for at least three years.

Have ever been convicted in any court of a felony or other crime for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence.

A certified copy of the indictment or information on which you were convicted, the judgment of conviction or record of any plea of nolo contendere, or plea of guilty or finding of guilty by the court.

Are under indictment or information in any court for a felony or any other crime for which the judge could imprison you for more than one year.

A certified copy of the indictment or information.

Have ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs) or have been committed to a mental institution.

  1. A certified copy of the order of a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that made the adjudication or ordered the commitment;

  2. any petition that sought to have you so adjudicated or committed;

  3. any medical records reflecting the reasons for commitment and diagnosis;

  4. and a certified copy of any court order or finding of a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority showing your discharge from commitment, restoration of mental competency, and the restoration of rights.

Have ever been discharged from the U.S. armed forces under dishonorable conditions.

  1. A certified copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Department of Defense Form 214);

  2. Charge Sheet (Department of Defense Form 458);

  3. and final court martial order.

Have ever renounced your U.S. citizenship.

A certified copy of the formal renunciation of nationality before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States in a foreign state, or before an officer designated by the Attorney General when the United States was in a state of war.

Are an alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States.

Please note that if you are …

  1. a permanent resident alien;
  2. or a lawful nonimmigrant alien, a refugee, or an asylee and are a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business, are a responsible person on a Federal explosives license or permit, are a member of a NATO or other friendly foreign military force who is in the United States under military orders, or are in the United States in cooperation with the Director of Central Intelligence

… you are not prohibited from receiving or possessing explosive materials under 18 U.S.C. 842(i) and do not need to apply for relief.

  1. Documentation that you have been lawfully admitted to the United States, which should include a copy of the photograph page of your passport and a copy of the page containing the U.S. visa;

  2. a certification from you (including your INS-issued alien number or admission number, country/countries of citizenship, and immigration status) certifying that you are legally authorized to work in the United States, or other purposes for which possession of explosives is required;

  3. a certification from your employer certifying that you are legally employed and that you are required to possess explosives in connection with your employment;

  4. and a certification from an appropriate law enforcement agency of your country of citizenship certifying that you do not have a criminal record.

All of the certifications listed above should be in English.

Last Reviewed September 22, 2016