Does a licensee need an export license to export a firearm?

Most firearms and ammunition must be exported in accordance with the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976. Regulations implementing this Act generally require a license to be obtained from the U.S. Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls. Additional information may be accessed online at:

The export of sporting shotguns and ammunition for sporting shotguns is regulated by the U.S. Department of Commerce. An export license is gen­erally needed to export these shotguns and ammunition. For further information, contact the U.S. Department of Com­merce, Bureau of Industry and Security. Contact information may be found online at:

When exporting NFA firearms, an ATF Form 9, Application and Permit for Per­manent Exportation of Firearms, must be approved by ATF prior to export.

[22 U.S.C. 2778; 27 CFR 479.114 and 479.116]

Last Reviewed July 18, 2019