Facts About ATF Special Response Team (SRT) Canines
- Since 2000, there have been 17 K-9 teams trained and based out of the following cities; Detroit, Sterling, Virginia, Miami, Dallas, and Los Angeles.
- These K-9s are certified by the North American Police Work Dogs Association (NAPWDA).
- There are currently 8 Special Response Teram (SRT) tactical K-9s paired with ATF special agent/SRT operator handlers.
SRT K-9 Profile: Meet K-9 Ike (Image of K-9 Ike)
- Ike is the only SRT K-9 also traine4d and certified in explosive detection.
- Ike is an 80 pound German Shepard, based out of Detroit. When Ike is not working, he enjoys spending time with his handler's family and friends.
The SRT tactical K-9 provides each SRT with an additional tool (the K-9) to locate and/or apprehend hidden or fleeing suspects. The SRT K-9 program uses hand-picked K-9s and qualified K-9 handlers. The teams are trained and certified in the following areas:
- Obedience training.
- Building, area and evidence search.
- Aggression control.
Published by ATF on October 27, 2015