Fiscal Year 2015 ATF Crime and Punishment
Investigations Initiated in Fiscal Year 2015
- Arson Investigations: 2,645
- Explosives Investigations: 978
- Alcohol and Tobacco Investigations: 26
- Firearms Investigations: 27,228
- ATF conducted 30,877 investigations in Fiscal Year (FY) 2015. Of those investigations, 80% involved firearm-related crimes.
Defendants recommended for prosecution in Fiscal Year 2015
- ATF recommended 12,378 defendants for prosecution in FY 2015.
- Of those recommended for prosecution, 8,847 were indicted.
- Of those indicted, 6,160 defendants were convicted. and resulted in 78 life sentences and 5 death sentences.
Cases recommended for prosecution in Fiscal Year 2015
- ATF recommneded 7,516 cases for prosecution.
- Of those recommended 5,503 were prosecuted.
- Of those cases that were prosecuted, 4,031 resulted in conviction.