How To Become a Federal Firearms Licensee in 10 Easy Steps
1. Decide to become a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL).
2. Go to www.ATF.gov and locate the required form (ATF Form 7).
3. Complete and mail in an accurate application (ATF Form 7) with the proper licensing fee to the address listed on the form.
4. The Federal Firearms Licensing Center (FFLC) records the application information and reviews the the form for correctness.
5. The FFLC conducts a background check on the "responsible persons".
6. The new license application is sent to your local ATF field office.
7. At your local ATF field office, an Industry Operations Investigator (IOI) will conduct an in-person interview with you.
8. The IOI prepares a report and makes a recommendation on whether or not ATF should issue or deny the license to their area supervisor.
9. The area supervisor reviews the report and submits his/her recommendation to the FFLC.
10. Assuming all background check have been completed and your business is in compliance with state and local law, the FFLC will issue the license.
The entire process takes about 60 days from the time your correct application was first received at the FFLC.