Staffing and Budget
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is a world-class law enforcement organization committed to safeguarding lives by protecting the public from violent crime. ATF protects the public from crimes involving firearms, explosives, arson, and the diversion of tobacco products; regulates lawful commerce in firearms and explosives; and provides worldwide support to law enforcement, public safety, and industry partners.
In fiscal year (FY) 2020, ATF had 5,082 employees, including 2,653 special agents and 760 industry operations investigators. Its FY 2020 enacted budget was approximately $1.4 billion.
Congressional Budget Submissions
|Year||Word||Excel or PDF|
|FY 2019||Congressional Budget Submission||--||Exhibits|
|FY 2018||Congressional Budget Submission||--||Exhibits|
|FY 2017||Congressional Budget Submission||--||Exhibits|
|FY 2016||Congressional Budget Submission||--||Exhibits|
|FY 2015||Congressional Budget Submission||--||Exhibits|
|FY 2014||Congressional Budget Submission||Justification||Exhibits|
|FY 2013||Congressional Budget Submission||Justification||Exhibits|
|FY 2012||Congressional Budget Submission||Justification||Exhibits|
|FY 2011||Congressional Budget Submission||Justification||Exhibits|
|FY 2010||Congressional Budget Submission||Justification||Exhibits|
|FY 2009||Congressional Budget Submission||Justification||Exhibits|
ATF Strategic Plan FY 2017 - 2022
Serving our nation as a world-class law enforcement organization committed to safeguarding lives by protecting the public from violent crime.
ATF protects the public from crimes involving firearms, explosives, arson, and the diversion of alcohol and tobacco products; regulates lawful commerce in firearms and explosives; and provides worldwide support to law enforcement, public safety, and industry partners.
We pledge an unwavering professional and organizational commitment to:
- Preserving and protecting human life and public safety.
- Fairness, and respect for the worth, dignity, and diversity of all people.
- Supporting the well-being of all members of the ATF family.
- Professionalism, honesty, integrity, accountability, self-discipline, and excellence.
- Innovation, critical thinking, continuous learning and development.
- Teamwork and collaborative effort.
- Partnerships that promote the safety and security of our nation.
- Upholding the Constitution and the laws of the United States in the pursuit of justice.
Strategic Goal Statements
Deter Illegal Firearms Trafficking and Violent Gun Crime
Utilize effective firearms enforcement techniques to reduce violent firearm-related crimes in the United States and abroad, thereby enhancing public safety.
Combat Criminal Organizations
Make our communities safer by identifying, targeting, and dismantling those criminal organizations that utilize firearms, arson, explosives, and alcohol or tobacco diversion in furtherance of violent criminal activity.
Deter Misuse of Explosives, Bombs, and Bombings
Advance domestic and international explosives expertise to prevent, detect, and investigate acts of violent crime, terrorism, and enhance public safety.
Research Fire and Investigate Arson
Advance the science of fire investigation globally, by setting and delivering the highest standards in response, research, information sharing, and training.
Modernize Our Processes and Systems
Modernize business processes and systems for improved information sharing and knowledge management. Use innovative technologies to support ATF’s mission.
Manage Our Workforce
Attract, develop, and retain a diverse, expert, and high-performing workforce to execute the ATF mission and administrative responsibilities in the current and emerging business environment.
ATF Core Functions
- Deter Illegal Firearms Trafficking and Violent Gun Crime
- Firearms Criminal Possession and Use
- Firearms Industry Operations
- Combat Criminal Organization
- Alcohol and Tobacco Diversion
- Deter Misuse of Explosives, Bombs, and Bombings
- Explosives Industry Operations
- Research Fire and Investigative Arson
- Modernize our processes and systems
- Manage our workforce
Strategic Goals and Objectives
Strategic Goal 1: Deter Illegal Firearms Trafficking and Violent Gun Crime
Performance Goal 1: Impact the threat to public safety caused by illegal firearms trafficking.
Performance Goal 2: Impact the threat to public safety caused by the criminal possession and use of firearms.
Strategic Objective: Deter illegal firearms trafficking and violent gun crime through a systematic approach.
- Fully implement an intelligence-driven approach to illegal firearms trafficking and violent gun crime.
- Address emerging challenges presented by internet-based illegal firearms trafficking.
- Refine and enhance our inspection process.
- Train ATF personnel, law enforcement organizations, and prosecutors.
Strategic Goal 2: Combat Criminal Organizations
Performance Goal: Impact the threat to public safety caused by criminal organizations.
Strategic Objective 1: Continue ATF’s enforcement efforts to identify, disrupt, and dismantle violent criminal organizations and share Federal, State, Tribal, and local intelligence.
- Maximize partnerships with other Federal, State, Tribal, and local law enforcement agencies to identify and arrest armed offenders.
- Leverage investigative technology and expertise for complex cases.
- Continuously improve intelligence collection, sharing, and training regarding criminal organizations.
Strategic Objective 2: Address contraband and counterfeit tobacco products trafficking through coordinated national investigations.
- Conduct focused investigations involving tobacco diversion schemes.
- Collaborate and coordinate with our partners.
Strategic Goal 3: Deter Misuse of Explosives, Bombs, and Bombings
Performance Goal: Impact the threat to public safety caused by bombs and explosives.
Strategic Objective: Continually address and mitigate emerging explosives and bombing threats by developing and implementing proactive regulatory, investigative, and intelligence sharing tactics.
- Partner with industry and public safety agencies to share ATF’s specialized explosives resources.
- Advance bombing and explosives expertise by providing high quality training to industry, law enforcement, public safety, and military agencies in explosives classification, storage, detection, disruption, investigation, and disposal.
- Enhance the integration of explosives research and development with laboratory forensics and training.
- Ensure the effective oversight of the explosives industry through collaboration with industry partners and consistent inspection thereby enhancing public safety and lawful commerce.
- Obtain accreditation for explosives related training programs.
Strategic Goal 4: Research Fire and Investigate Arson
Performance Goal: Impact the threat to public safety caused by the criminal use of fire.
Strategic Objective: Provide expert fire and arson investigative response, technical assistance, research, training, and reporting to public safety partners.
- Continually develop and deploy specialized resources across the country.
- Advance our fire and arson investigation expertise by providing high quality training.
- Promote and increase fire research, development, and information sharing.
- Obtain accreditation for fire and arson related training programs.
Strategic Goal 5: Modernize Our Processes and Systems
Performance Goal: Modernize business processes and systems for improved mission effectiveness and transparency.
Strategic Objective 1: Modernize our approach to business process reengineering to ensure effective Government management.
- Continually improve ATF business processes through critical evaluation to determine when reengineering is appropriate.
Redesign management operations by applying industry best practices in business process analysis and redesign.
Strategic Objective 2: Strengthen our capability to capture, manage, share, and act on data, information, and knowledge ATF-wide and with our partners.
- Improve data quality.
- Further strengthen data integrity and improve efficiencies.
- Standardize the ATF architecture.
- Establish internal information-sharing technical architecture.
- Implement an innovative knowledge management environment.
- Enhance external information-sharing capability.
Strategic Objective 3: Proactively identify, research, and integrate innovative technology to further ATF’s effectiveness in accomplishing our mission.
- Identify emerging technologies that have potential to improve ATF’s performance and efficiency.
- Enhance technology review and implementation processes.
Strategic Objective 4: Improve the reliability and availability of ATF systems by moving all ATF Information Technology systems to Cloud-hosted facilities.
- Migrate systems to the Cloud.
- Update ATF systems to make use of Cloud efficiencies.
Strategic Goal 6: Manage Our Workforce
Performance Goal: Attract, develop, and retain an expert workforce to execute the ATF mission.
Strategic Objective 1: Implement a comprehensive recruitment and staffing strategy for external and internal vacancies focused on hiring a highly competent and diverse workforce.
- Optimize recruitment strategies.
- Implement a strategic approach to the construction of the future ATF workforce.
- Evaluate and modernize recruitment and staffing business practices and information systems.
Strategic Objective 2: Develop occupational expertise and sustainable career development opportunities for the continuous professional development of every employee to prepare for current and future business needs.
- Deliver foundational training for critical occupational functions.
- Anticipate organizational skill gaps.
- Provide advanced skills training.
- Instill a comprehensive and integrated leadership development culture.
- Provide cost-effective professional development.
- Enhance training business processes and accreditation.
Strategic Objective 3: Streamline the complaint process to resolve workplace disputes fairly and expeditiously.
- Enhance the Alternative Dispute Resolution Program for non-discriminatory and non-disciplinary matters.
- 2. Provide training and resources for management to enhance understanding of how best to resolve workplace incidents.
- Continue to seek improvements in the discrimination complaint process.
Strategic Objective 4: Create a work environment that fosters employee performance, accountability, and resourcefulness while encouraging employee retention.
- Foster a culture of high performance and accountability.
- Encourage high performance and job satisfaction.
- Enhance employee engagement and satisfaction by monitoring and responding to feedback mechanisms.
- Utilize work/life flexibility options.