ATF offers students the opportunity to train in a competitive, world-class internship program at a leading-edge federal law enforcement agency. During the internships, students learn skills such as business writing, critical analysis techniques, problem solving and new technologies by working closely with professionals in their chosen field. The goal is to prepare them for entry level opportunities in civil service with real-world work experiences.
Other opportunities include:
- Pathways Internship Program: This program is for current students who are enrolled in or about to attend qualified education institutions. This program provides students with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore federal careers while completing their education.
- Recent Graduates Program: This program provides an opportunity to attain and develop experience working in the federal government. This program is intended to promote careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions with an associate, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate completion. Service members who are not able to apply within 2 years of graduation (due to military obligations) have up to six years to apply to the Recent Graduates Pathways Program.
- High school, trade school, undergraduate or graduate student
- At least 16 years old and a junior in high school
- Minimum 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale
- Must be eligible to work for the United States federal government
College students may earn academic credit for these voluntary positions. Interested candidates are encouraged to verify academic credit requirements and policies with their respective colleges or universities before applying to the program.
Applicants interested in pursuing non–paid, volunteer internships with ATF are encouraged to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Short statement on your areas of interest
- Semester availability
- Desired location (city and state)
Visit the ATF Field Divisions page for a list of ATF offices around the country.
Refer to the Forensic Science Internships page for the application process and contact information.
Email your internship questions to email@example.com.