Military veterans play a crucial role in ATF’s mission to keep communities safe by serving as special agents, industry operations investigators, forensic specialists and other professional and technical positions.
Veterans are encouraged to apply for ATF’s open positions on USAjobs.gov.
Veterans are eligible to apply for ATF career opportunities through veterans’ preference using several hiring authorities, including:
- 30% Disabled Veteran: Noncompetitive appointment for veterans with a disability rating of 30% or more, or with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
- Schedule A: Noncompetitive appointment for people with severe physical disabilities, psychiatric disabilities or intellectual disabilities.
Veterans interested in applying for job openings using veterans’ preference must submit a copy of their Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214) as part of their application package on USAjobs. If you are claiming 10-point preference, you will need to submit an Application for 10-point Veterans Preference (SF-15).
Disabled Veteran Leave
For recently hired veterans with a service-connected disability rating of 30% or more, the Disabled Veteran Leave Entitlement provides up to 104 hours of disabled veteran leave for the purposes of undergoing medical treatment for such disability.
Federal employees with appointments lasting more than one year are entitled to 15 days of leave per fiscal year to perform certain types of active or inactive duty in the Reserves or National Guard.
For questions about applying to ATF with veteran’s preference, please email:
- SAinfo@atf.gov for special agents (including the age requirement waiver)
- SAIOIapplicantinfo@atf.gov for industry operations investigators
- HRODStaffingInfo@atf.gov for all other career paths and general questions