Report Firearms Theft or Loss

Reporting for Federal Firearms Licensees

Any Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) who has knowledge of the theft or loss of any firearms from their inventory must report such theft or loss within 48 hours of discovery to ATF and to the local law enforcement agency. (Regulations at 27 CFR § 478.39a and implementing 18 U.S.C. § 923(g)(6) require that the report of theft or loss be made by telephone and in writing to ATF). Image of different guns on a table

Upon discovery of any theft or loss of any of your firearms:

  1. First, call your local law enforcement agency to report the theft or loss. Contacting the local law enforcement authorities is essential to the quick recovery of firearms taken in a crime. If the firearms are unaccounted for during inventory, you should make it clear to the authorities that there is no evidence of a crime and that the disposition of these firearms is unknown and may stem from a record keeping error.

  2. Second, call the ATF’s Stolen Firearms Program Manager toll free at 1-888-930-9275. They can also assist in the preparation of the Theft / Loss Report for submission. ATF will work with the local law enforcement authorities investigating the theft.

  3. Third, complete the report form (ATF Form 3310.11) and attach any continuation sheets necessary (ATF Form 3310.11A) and mail it to ATF’s National Tracing Center. Be sure to submit the original form(s) to ATF and retain copies for your records.

Normal business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Email or fax your 3310.11 (Theft/Loss) or 3310.6 (Interstate):

Fax via Avaya Email: (304) 260-3676
Regular Fax: (304) 260-3671

Reporting for Non-FFLs

ATF does not take reports of stolen firearms from private citizens:

If you are an individual needing assistance in obtaining a serial number for a firearm, ATF is unable to assist private citizens in locating serial numbers as there is no national registration system. One of the following options may assist you:

  1. Contact the firearms dealer where you purchased the firearm.

  2. If the firearms dealer is out of business and your inquiry is in reference to a stolen firearm, contact your local police department. It is possible they will submit a request to the National Tracing Center for a Records Search Request assuming the circumstances are connected to a bona fide criminal investigation.

  3. Contact your state firearms registration office if your state has one.

Resources for Law Enforcement

If you are a law enforcement agency and require assistance in obtaining a serial number for a firearm reported stolen by an individual, your request must be in writing. A search of the Out of Business Records can be obtained for a bona fide criminal investigation. Send the request on letterhead/fax, with your ORI along with your name and case number. You must also provide the name of the dealer, time frame of purchase, firearm information and all the purchaser information including any identifiers. Your request can be faxed to 800-578-7223, attention Record Search Requests.

Related Resources

Loss Prevention for Firearms Retailers (pdf)

Questions and Answers Regarding the Theft/Loss of Firearms in Transit

Last Reviewed September 23, 2022