DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
District of Columbia

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, June 27, 2023
Matthew M. Graves
, United States Attorney

District of Columbia Man Sentenced to 60 Months in Prison for Unlawful Possession of a Firearm

Defendant Admitted to Possessing Firearms in Connection to Drug Distribution

WASHINGTON – Jimmy Martez Ellis, 30, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced on June 26, 2023, to 60 months in federal prison for the unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition.

The announcement was made by U.S. Attorney Matthew M. Graves, Acting Special Agent in Charge Sarah Linden, of the FBI Washington Field Office Criminal and Cyber Division, and Special Agent in Charge Craig B. Kailimai, of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Washington Division.

Ellis, who utilized the street nicknames “Big Oso” and “Jim Bob” pleaded guilty on March 8, 2023, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, to one count of unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition by a convicted felon. As part of his plea agreement, Ellis admitted that he was arrested on April 19, 2020, in possession of a loaded .40 caliber handgun and that he was arrested again on August 6, 2021, in possession of a loaded .38 caliber handgun. Ellis admitted that, as a convicted felon, he was not legally permitted to possess either handgun, and further admitted that he possessed the firearms in connection to another felony crime – namely the distribution and possession with the intent to distribute controlled substances.

Ellis was sentenced by the Honorable Tanya S. Chutkan. Following completion of his prison term, Ellis will be placed on three years of supervised release.

In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Graves, Acting Special Agent in Charge Linden, and Special Agent in Charge Kailimai, commended the work of those who investigated the case from the FBI and ATF. They also expressed appreciation to those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Assistant U.S. Attorney James B. Nelson who investigated and prosecuted the case.

Washington Field Division