DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
District of South Dakota

For Immediate Release

Monday, July 8, 2019
Ronald A. Parsons, Jr.
, United States Attorney
Contact: Ace Crawford

Hot Springs Man Sentenced on Firearm and Drug Charges

United States Attorney Ron Parsons announced that Hot Springs, South Dakota, man convicted of Possession of a Firearm by a Prohibited Person and Distribution of a Controlled Substance was sentenced by Chief Judge Jeffrey L. Viken, U.S. District Court.

Kory Moore, age 27, was sentenced on July 3, 2019, to 4 years in federal prison, followed by 3 years of supervised release, and was ordered to pay a $200 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.

The charges related to Moore, a previously convicted felon prohibited from possessing firearms, being found to knowingly be in possession of a .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol during a traffic stop on June 7, 2018, at Rapid City.

Additionally, earlier that day Moore obtained methamphetamine and sold it to another individual.

This case is part of Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN), a program bringing together all levels of law enforcement and the communities they serve to reduce violent crime and make our neighborhoods safer for everyone. The Department

of Justice reinvigorated PSN in 2017 as part of its renewed focus on targeting violent criminals, directing all U.S. Attorney’s Offices to work in partnership with federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement and local communities to develop effective, locally-based strategies to reduce violent crime.

Drug trafficking is an inherently violent activity. Firearms are tools of the trade for drug dealers. It is common to find drug traffickers armed with guns in order to protect their illegal drug product and cash, and enforce their illegal operations.

The investigation was conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, the Safe Trails Task Force, and the Rapid City Police Department. Assistant U.S. Attorney Ben Patterson prosecuted the case.

Moore was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

# # #

St. Paul Field Division