For Immediate Release
Serial Armed Robber Sentenced to 9 Years
MADISON, WIS. - Scott C. Blader, United States Attorney for the Western District of Wisconsin, announced that Nicholas K. Murn, 26, Whitewater, Wisconsin, pleaded guilty and was sentenced yesterday by U.S. District Judge William M. Conley to nine years in federal prison, for committing five armed robberies of Rock County businesses during a two-week period of time in October 2019. His term of imprisonment will be followed by a three-year term of supervised release.
Murn committed the following robberies:
- Tex’s Grocery, 1909 Saint Lawrence Avenue, Beloit, Wisconsin, on October 17, 2019;
- Casey’s General Store, 464 S. John Paul Road, Milton, Wisconsin, on October 23, 2019;
- Stop N’ Go, 3515 E. Milwaukee Street, Janesville, Wisconsin, on October 24, 2019
- Mulligans BP Convenience, 3961 Milton Avenue, Janesville, on October 26, 2019; and
- Rollette Oil Gas Station, 1451 Madison Road, Beloit, on October 30, 2019.
Because Murn brandished a firearm during each robbery, he was subject to a mandatory minimum seven-year sentence, which is what he asked Judge Conley to impose. Although Murn did not have a prior criminal history, Judge Conley denied his request because of the trauma Murn inflicted on the victims.
The charges against Murn were the result of an investigation conducted by the Beloit, Janesville, and Fort Atkinson Police Departments, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The prosecution of the case has been handled by Assistant U.S. Attorney Rita M. Rumbelow.